Fulton County Courthouse ~ Lewistown, IL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 40° 23.815 W 090° 09.318
15T E 741427 N 4475698
Quick Description: The Lewistown Trail from Springfield to Galena ran thru here.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 7/13/2009 6:40:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM6RD6
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 2

Long Description:

Text of Sign on Courthouse Lawn: This Courthouse Plaza is presented to the people of Fulton County that they may rededicate themselves to the preservation of the freedoms fought for 200 years ago. May all cherish the rich heritage of the past, enjoy the festival of the present, and work for the bright horizons of the future.


The first settler of Fulton County was Ossian Ross, who came to the site of Lewistown in 1821 to claim his land grant of one-quarter section in the Military Tract of Illinois. In 1822, the town site of Lewistown was laid out and named for Lewis, Mr. Ross’s eldest son. The first Court House of Fulton County was built in Lewistown from hewn logs in 1823. The first brick and stone courthouse was later erected in 1838 and served until December of 1894 when it was destroyed by fire. The current Fulton County Courthouse was built in 1897 to replace the earlier Courthouse destroyed by fire

Named for Robert Fulton [1765-1815] who was an inventor. His most famous invention was the Clermont, a steamboat, which sailed on the Hudson River in 1807.
Formed on 28 Jan 1823 primarily from Pike County, Illinois. From 1823 to 1825, the majority of Illinois north of the Illinois River was unorganized territory under the jurisdiction of Fulton County. This included the current site of Chicago, Illinois.

The Fulton County boundaries in 1823 included small portions currently in Knox, Peoria, and Schuyler counties. The formation of those three counties in 1825 resulted in the current boundaries of Fulton County.

Another County site: Fulton Co.

Year Built: 1897

Current Use of Building: County Court House

Level of Courts: County

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1897 - present

Physical Address:
100 N. Main St.,
Lewistown, IL 61542


Related Website: [Web Link]

Architect: Not listed

Hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
teamMCLM visited Fulton County Courthouse ~ Lewistown, IL 7/10/2011 teamMCLM visited it