By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Fort DuPont - Delaware City, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member 94RedRover
N 39° 34.390 W 075° 34.855
18S E 450105 N 4380546
Quick Description: Originally built as a coastal defense system in the Civil War Era, Fort Dupont laer played a role as a temporary POW camp for German and Italian soldiers during WWII.
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 6/30/2009 3:15:35 AM
Waymark Code: WM6P8E
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Rupert2
Views: 11

Long Description:
During the Civil War, Fort Dupont, along with Fort Delaware and Fort Mott formed the "Three Forts" coastal defense system to protect the ports and ship building sites in Wilmington, Chester and Philadelphia from enemy attack along the river. The three forts stretched across the Delaware River, essentially creating a wall of coastal forts.

Originally called Battery Point, it was renamed to Camp Reynolds in 1863 in honor of John Fulton Reynolds, a Union officer killed at Gettysburg. With the onset of the Spanish-American War in 1897, the fort was further fortified with additional batteries. The fort then changed its name again to Fort DuPont, in honor of Admiral Samuel DuPont, a Delaware naval hero, whose forces were successful at gaining possesion of Port Royal Harbor in 1861, and defeating a fleet of ironclads that attacked Fort Sumter in 1863. A cople of years later, additional mortar and rifle batteries were added, as well as buildings including a hospital, post office, ordnance storehouses, stbles and wooden framed officer's quarters.

From 1906 until 1915, Fort DuPont served as the headquarters of the Middle Atlantic Coast Artillery District. In 1922, the function of the fort changed from coastal defense to headquarters for the First Engineering Battalion until World War II. The guns were removed fro the site during this change. The First Engineers built permanent brick buildings, shaping how the fort looks today. In 1931, the First Enginers moved to another location.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Fort DuPont major role was in the training and preparation of US Army Reserve units for World War II. German and Italian in Romml's Afrika Corps captured in 1943 were sent to the POW camp set up at Fort DuPont. The temporary wooden barracks that housed the POWs no longer stands, the last collapsing from age just four years ago.

Decmber 31, 1945, Fort DuPont was decommissioned and turned over to the State of Delaware. The Division of Health and Social Services opened the Governor Bacon Health Center on the site.

In 1992, a large portion of the site along the Delaware River was turned overto the Division of Parks and Recreation, becoming For DuPont State Park. Over 127 acres of this state park allows visitors to stroll through the history here, and the marshes along the river are great for birdwatchng.
Visit Instructions:
Please post an origional photo of the site. New features not show in the other find logs are encouraged. Feel free to add any information not provided in the waymark listing. If you or your family has any personal knowledge of the site, please feel free to share.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest WWII Prisoner of War Camps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Facedances visited Fort DuPont - Delaware City, DE 11/24/2012 Facedances visited it
Tprints visited Fort DuPont - Delaware City, DE 9/4/2012 Tprints visited it
muffy53 visited Fort DuPont - Delaware City, DE 9/2/2010 muffy53 visited it

View all visits/logs