Mansfield Block House - Mansfield, OH
N 40° 45.376 W 082° 32.488
17T E 369881 N 4512843
Quick Description: The historic Mansfield Block House in Mansfield, Ohio, USA, was built in 1812 for defensive purposes. It later served as the Richland County jail.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 6/27/2009 5:38:17 PM
Waymark Code: WM6NP8
From the Christian & Son Inc
For the City of Mansfield, Ohio there is no landmark more significant to local history than the Blockhouse. Originally built for military defense purposes during the war of 1812, the structure was later repurposed as both a courthouse and jail. Now believed by local historians to be the oldest remaining courthouse & jail in the state of Ohio, the preservation of this structure is of paramount importance.
From the City of Mansfield website:
The Historic Block House
A significant symbol of Mansfield's early settlement, the original Mansfield Block House was built in the fall of 1812 to provide protection from possible Indian attack during the War of 1812. From 1813 to 1816 it functioned as Richland County's first courthouse. This building is a commemorative structure built in the fall of 1906 for the 1908 Mansfield Centennial Exhibition. The building is significant in terms of the city's military history and early settlement. The upper two-thirds of the first story of this building came from the original 1812 Block House, and the second floor came from a log house built in 1821. After the Centennial, the Block House stood for many years on a site adjacent to the Richland County Courthouse, before being moved in 1929 to its present site in South Park.