By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Edward Sharpe House - Camden, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 56.850 W 075° 07.480
18S E 489350 N 4421937
Quick Description: A historic sign found on the bottom right of this house marks this 1812 home and records its significance. It was placed by the Camden Centennial Committee on or about June 24, 1900. These Centennial historical markers litter the city.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 6/23/2009 5:18:37 AM
Waymark Code: WM6MZG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
Views: 8

Long Description:

This is a rather large home, extending back a quarter of a block or so, well hidden in the front with trees and bushes. It is easy to miss this historic home if you are not looking for it. One of many NRHP sites in this immediate area.

Background

Edward Sharpe was involved with the planning, naming and over all laying out of the City of Camden. "In 1820, extending further south, Edward Sharp, having purchased 98 acres from Joshua Cooper, laid out a portion of these lands into streets and lots and named it Camden Village. Sharp named the main thoroughfare Bridge Avenue, as he projected the construction of a bridge across the Delaware River to Windmill Island, a sandy island en route to Philadelphia which served as an obstruction to river traffic. SOURCE

The House

"Sharp had an impressive home built c. 1812 on 200 Cooper Street, Lot #42, in Jacob Cooper's original townsite. Gideon V. Stivers, prominent builder and mayor of Camden (1830-1838), built Sharp's house in accordance with the then popular Federal style. Edward Sharp went into debt in 1821. He lost his house, was forced to abandon his bridge plans, and his land was seized by the sheriff. During the 170-year lifespan of the Sharp house, there have been but five owners to date. One of the best local examples of the Federal style, the house has been preserved through its continuous occupation. It is presently listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places." This plot of land and the others laid out by Sharpe formed the initial basis of what is now Camden City.

The historic marker affixed to the bottom, front right of the home reads: "The Edward Sharpe House, Erected 1812, Here was planned the first bridge between Camden and Philadelphia for which a charter was granted in 1819. This tablet is erected by the Camden Centennial Committee." Out front on the sidewalk is a small metallic emblem embedded in the concrete declaring this a NRHP site.

Marker Name: The Edward Sharpe Hosue

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
The Edward Sharpe House, Erected 1812, Here was planned the first bridge between Camden and Philadelphia for which a charter was granted in 1819. This tablet is erected by the Camden Centennial Committee.


Dedication Date: 6/24/1900

City: Camden

County: Camden

Group responsible for placement: Camden Centennial Committee

Web Link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Go Boilers! visited Edward Sharpe House - Camden, NJ 8/5/2012 Go Boilers! visited it