Troup County Government Center-Lagrange, GA
Posted by: Sprinterman
N 33° 02.426 W 085° 01.859
16S E 683868 N 3657492
Quick Description: Located in downtown Lagrange, Georiga
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 6/14/2009 6:54:02 PM
Waymark Code: WM6KDV
On Dec. 14, 1826, the legislature directed that Troup County elections and court sessions be held in the house of Joseph Weaver. The county's first inferior court was authorized to erect a courthouse, but it is not known if a courthouse was built in 1827. In Dec. 1827, portions of Troup County were used to create two new counties -- Meriwether and Harris. New elections were set for Feb. 1828, after which the new inferior court was given the responsibility of providing for a courthouse. Reportedly, a brick courthouse was built in LaGrange in 1830. This structure was torn down in 1903 or 1904 and replaced by a new three-story brick courthouse with clock tower, which was completed in 1904. This courthouse burned in 1936 (see photo) and was replaced in 1939 with a new marble courthouse (see photo). The present courthouse--officially designated the Troup County Government Center--was completed in 2005, with the former courthouse becoming home for the Troup County Juvenile Court.
Be sure to look at the 1936 photo in the gallery..it is amazing.
Year Built: 2005
Current Use of Building: Courts and government offices
Level of Courts: County
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 2005-present
100 Ridley Ave.
County Government Center
LaGrange, GA 30240-0000
Related Website: [Web Link]
Architect: Not listed
Hours: Not listed
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.