The Coloma Road-Rescue
Posted by: heringermr
N 38° 42.670 W 120° 57.130
10S E 678052 N 4286716
Quick Description: California Historical Landmark #747
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 6/12/2009 9:46:39 PM
Waymark Code: WM6K4X
Past this point on the old Coloma Road, running between Sutter's Fort and his sawmill on the American river, James W. Marshall rode with the first gold discovered at Coloma on January 24, 1848.
With the discovery of gold, Coloma Road became one of the primary routes to the gold fields of El Dorado County. The road started at Sutter's Fort (New Helvetia), then proceeded to Willow Springs (near Folsom), Mormon Island, Green Valley (near Rescue), Rose Springs, turned north at Tennessee Creek, crossed Dry Creek and then Weber Creek, and continued on to Coloma. Soon thereafter, a connection to Uniontown (Lotus) was built and the present-day general road alignment for Green Valley and Lotus Roads completed.
Traveled by thousands to and from the diggings, this road became the route of California's earliest stageline, established in 1849 by James E. Birch.
The second plaque placed by the El Dorado County Department of Tranportation and the El Dorado County and Rescue Historical Societies is about 300 feet north of the California State Historical Marker.
Marker Number: 747.00
Marker Name: COLOMA ROAD-RESCUE
County: El Dorado
Has Official CA Plaque: yes
Marker Dedication Date: 08/14/1960
4222 Green Valley Rd at Rescue Junction General Store, Rescue
Website: [Web Link]
Feel free to post a picture of you at the landmark site, but a photo is not required to log a visit.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.