Jackson County Courthouse - Murphysboro, Illinois
Posted by: BruceS
N 37° 45.854 W 089° 20.094
16S E 294333 N 4182223
Quick Description: County courthouse in Murphysboro, Illinois.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 5/2/2009 5:32:20 PM
Waymark Code: WM6AEM
Jackson County is named after the seventh President of the United States and was incorporated as a county within the Illinois territory on January 10, 1816 from part of what was Randolph county. The county seat and courthouse were originally located along the Big Muddy River in Brownsville. After a fire destroyed the courthouse in Brownsville it was decided to move the county seat to a more central location in Murphysboro.
The current courthouse constructed of reinforced concrete was built during 1927-1928. The building replaces an earlier wood-frame courthouse which was damaged during the Tri-state tornado which struck Murphysboro March 18, 1925.
Year Built: 1927
Current Use of Building: County Courthouse
Level of Courts: County
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1928 - present
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Related Website: [Web Link]
Architect: Not listed
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.