The Henderson Paddle Wheel
The "M.F. Henderson" was launched in 1901. Being a work-class steamer, she towed log rafts, grain barges and pushed ships. During an overhaul in 1912 she lost her initials and became known as the "Henderson."
During World War II she moved powerless ships through Portland's harbor bridges. In 1952 she starred in movie "Bend of the River" under the name of "River Queen."
"The Henderson" had a long life for a wood steamer. Her end came in 1956 near Astoria. Heavy winds and surging waves smashed her against the steel side of her tow. Damage beyond repair, she was beached near Columbia City.
John Hounsell, Hood River orchardist and boat builder, obtained permission to remove the wheel, which he renovated at this site in 1977.