Thomas Revell House - Burlington, NJ
Posted by: 94RedRover
N 40° 04.756 W 074° 51.665
18T E 511844 N 4436564
Quick Description: Located at 213 Wood Street in Burlington, the Revell House is the oldest building in Burlington County.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 4/17/2009 8:31:22 PM
Waymark Code: WM67FH
"The THOMAS REVEL HOUSE (private), 8 E. Pearl St., is probably the oldest complete dwelling in Burlington. Erected 1685 by George Hutchinson, it was the office of Thomas Revel, registrar of the Proprietors of West New Jersey and clerkof the assembly from 1696 to 1699. The little house is hidden in one of the poorer sections of the town. It is two stories in height, of brick construction, with gambrel roof and two small dormer windows; one low-ceilinged room is downstairs and a very low ceilinged bedroom is upstairs. Some old china cooking utensils and other odds and ends are kept here. The house is the headquarters of the Annis Stockton Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution."
--- New Jersey: A Guide to its Present and Past, 1939
Consructed in 1865 by George Hutchinson, this house is the oldest building in Burlington County, and one of the oldest residences in New Jersey. Thomas Revell purchased the property from Hutchinson and used it as his offices from 1696 to 1699.
Sometimes called the Gingerbread House, history reads that this is the home where Benjamin Franklin was sold gingerbread and given supper by a friendly Burlington woman on his way to Philadelphia.