By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

This waymark has been archived.
Triphammer's Forge & Water Wheel
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member the hiking viking
N 43° 09.659 W 077° 36.943
18T E 287349 N 4782013
Quick Description: Found in downtown Rochester. The wheel here was long forgotten about until a fire in 1977 ravaged the building and during cleanup it was discovered.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 4:13:54 PM
Waymark Code: WM6758
Views: 9

Long Description:
From this website; (visit link) I gathered this info:
A unique archaeological park, the Triphammer Forge site provides a good view of the layers of history found in Browns Race. The Triphammer Building burned in 1977. As the rubble was being cleared, a long-forgotten basement room was uncovered that housed the building's massive (25-foot) water wheel, constructed of wood and iron.

The Triphammer Building was built as a forge in 1816 and occupied by the William Cobb Scythe and Tool factory. A large, heavy hammer-the triphammer-was raised by waterpower and dropped to forge wrought-iron tools. In 1830 the building was advertised for sale as having a furnace with the greatest blast in the state and two triphammers.

In the 1830s, Lewis Selye bought the Triphammer Building. Previously, in 1826, he had constructed the building at 208 Mill Street that extends between Browns Race and Mill Street. In these buildings the Selye Fire Engine Company built Rochester's first fire engines and supplied fire engines for federal fortifications and other sites across New York state. A cast-iron shaft transferred power from the Triphammer Building to the Mill Street plant.

In the 1860s the Triphammer Building and 208 Mill Street were purchased by Junius Judson, inventor of the steam governor used in locomotives and ships. Judson expanded the Triphammer building another 75 feet toward the gorge edge. The wall with the large arch is part of this addition. The shaft of Judson's water turbine was found in this addition. Appropriately, he also manufactured triphammers at this site. Judson's son eventually become the first president of Rochester Gas & Electric.

As electricity and steam replaced waterpower in the 1890's and 90's, Browns Race lost its strategic advantage for industrial uses. For example, the vacant lot south of the Triphammer site was once the location of the Gleason Works, internationally noted makers of beveled gears. No longer needing the falls for waterpower, Gleason moved to its current location on University Avenue in 1905 after fire destroyed its Browns Race plant.
Current Status: Ruin

Current Use: Historical display

Visit Instructions:
Provide a picture of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Water Mills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
wander41 visited Triphammer's Forge & Water Wheel 10/25/2012 wander41 visited it