N 38° 14.116 W 080° 50.992
17S E 513139 N 4231929
Quick Description: A relatively new historical marker near the site of the old Hughes Ferry crossing of Gauley River, just south of Summersville, WV.
Location: West Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 3/31/2009 1:29:34 PM
Waymark Code: WM64DH
Close to the site of the first ferry in Nicholas County to cross the nearby Gauley River. Owned first by William McClung, control was later lost in a court case to Edward Hughes. The Hughes family operated the ferry until 1903, when the county built a bridge for $7200.00. Both the ferry and subsequent bridge were vital transportation links for settlers
and goods on the Wilderness Road (Summersville) to the James River & Kanawha Turnpike, Gauley Bridge, Fayetteville, and Lewisburg. The current bridge was built in 1995 and is the third span at the site.
This historical marker was placed in 2005 by the Nicholas County Historic Landmark Commission, the Historic and Genealogical Society, and the West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Marker Title: Hughes Ferry/Bridge
Marker Location: Beside old U.S. 19, about 1/10 mile from current 4-lane highway.
County or Independent City: Nicholas County
Marker Program Sponsor: West Virginia Division of Archives and History
Marker Number: Not listed
Web Site: Not listed