By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Historic Glen Ellyn
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Go Boilers!
N 41° 53.389 W 088° 03.875
16T E 411681 N 4638090
Quick Description: A stroll through time in suburban Chicago.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 3/23/2009 10:26:58 AM
Waymark Code: WM62TQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 19

Long Description:
Stop 1: Stacy's Tavern - Opened in 1846. The inn was a mid-point between Chicago and the Fox River for stage coach riders. For 50 cents guests could expect overnight lodging, two meals, and hay for two horses. They could wash with water drawn from the tavern's inside well, warm themselves near a cast-iron stove on a cold winter's night, and share their bed with fellow travelers. Law prohibited Stacy from putting up more than five guest to a bed. The coming of the railroad (Stop 5) spelled the end of Stacy's Tavern as a wayside inn. Moses and his wife continued to use the structure as their residence until their deaths in 1870 and 1889, respectively.

Head south on Main Street .6 miles to Hawthorne.
Stop 2: Glen Ellyn Main Street Historic District - There are several Queen Anne, Gothic Revival , and Victorian houses along Main Street. A good example is 564 Main. It was built by William C. Newton in 1891. He was a prominent business and farmer. He served on the earliest Village Board, which held its first meeting on August 1,1882 in the train depot.

Head south on Main Street .3 miles to Pennsylvania.
Stop 3: Glen Ellyn VFC Station & Centennial Monument. On October 11, 1907, the Glen Ellyn Volunteer Fire Department was chartered. Edgar H. McChesney, village president, appointed Harry J. Blackburn Fire Chief and 22 men were enrolled to serve as volunteer firefighters, during a village hall meeting.

Head one block south and then cross tracks.
Stop 4: Chicago Aurora & Elgin train. Just outside the Citibank a historical marker tells about the interurban train line. Passenger servie ran from 1902 - 1957. The train line later became North America's first successful rails-to-trails conversion.

Go back north across tracks and head east (right).
Stop 5: Train station. The nucleus of town shifted to the south when the railroad came through the village in 1849. Although no stop was planned for the area, Lewey Q. Newton deeded a right-of-way to the railroad and offered to build a depot and water tank at his own expense if it would permit a stop there. This became known as Newton Station. Within three years, the new postmaster named the town Danby after his birthplace in Vermont.

Head east to Ellyn Avenue and then north until the road ends
Stop 6: Lake Ellyn. In 1889, Thomas E. Hill and Philo Stacy arranged to dam the stream near town to form Lake Glen Ellyn, named for the glen where it rests and a Welsh spelling of Hill's wife's name, Ellen. The following year, nearby mineral springs were discovered.
Recommended Time for this WayTour: From: 1:30 PM To: 4:30 PM

Stop Coordinates:
Stop 2: 41.880945, -88.066845 Stop 3: 41.877622, -88.066823 Stop 4: 41.875737, -88.066877 Stop 5: 41.876432, -88.065311 Stop 6: 41.881528, -88.061373


Starting Address for this WayTour:
Geneva Road just west of Main Street
Glen Ellyn, IL USA
60137


Number of Stops: 6

Website of stops: [Web Link]

Stop Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
You must include an original photo showing one of the stops along the tour route.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Waymark Tours (WayTours)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.