Homeplace Plantation House - Hahnville, LA
N 29° 58.283 W 090° 24.333
15R E 750343 N 3318446
Quick Description: Large French colonial raised-cottage house located on Hwy. 18 (River Rd.) in Hahnville. This privately owned house is also listed as a National Historic Landmark.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 3/12/2009 6:44:01 PM
Waymark Code: WM60M2
Appeared to be in good condition. Home site well off the highway. It is easy to locate and considering distatnce from road, it was easy to photograph.
There was good information on this fine old house I discovered. The 2 best are from the St. Charles Parish Historical page, located hereHome Place Plantation was built on a Spanish land grant of 10,000 acres in late 1790 for Pierre Gaillard (or possibly for his widow) by Charles Paquet, the same free man of color who built Destrehan, just across the river.
Home-Place is a near perfect example of a raised Creole plantation house.
In 1800 the widow Gaillard sold the home and property to Louis Edmond Fortier, and over the next twenty years of his ownership, he added considerable land to his holdings. Among the interests of Mr. Fortier, was the raising of thoroughbred horses.
Edmond Fortier died in 1849, and his wife sold the home, jointly, to their son, Drausin and three of their sons-in-law. Drausin died of yellow fever in 1856.
The property changed ownership several times over the next 37 years, until in 1893, it was purchased by Pierre Anatole Keller and his brother-in-law, Ulysses Haydel. They divided it, with Keller retaining the upriver portion, with the home. Haydel held ownership of the downriver portion, and renamed it Caneland. Until he could complete his home in 1895, he lived in a garconniere, which he had moved over from Home Place.
Keller and his son Theodore began renovating the old home, which was by now called Keller-Homeplace, in 1904, in the process making major alterations. In addition they planted an alee of pecan trees up the front drive.
Though the property is now vacant, it is still owned and maintained by the Keller family.
Also the State Historical marker, located in front of the home states Built in 1790s, this French Colonial raised cottage is of West Indian bousillage construction. Owners included Labranche, Fortier, Gallaird. Keller family ownership since 1885.
LA 18, 0.5 mi. S of Hahnville
Hahnville, LA USA
County / Borough / Parish: St. Charles
Year listed: 1970
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1800-1824
Historic function: Agriculture/Subsistence, Domestic. Sub - Agricultural Outbuildings, Secondary Structure, Single Dwelling
Current function: Domestic. Sub - Secondary Structure, Single Dwelling
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.