Cathedral of the Air - Lakehurst, NJ
Posted by: 94RedRover
N 40° 01.046 W 074° 18.615
18T E 558862 N 4429919
Quick Description: The Cathedral of the Air was built in 1932 by the American Legion Department of New Jersey to serve the religious diversity of the soldiers stationed at the Naval Air Station at Lakehurst.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 3/1/2009 9:00:00 AM
Waymark Code: WM5Y8G
"In the SW. corner of the reservation is the CATHEDRAL OF THE AIR, a small Gathic-type Chapel in gray stone, dedictaed to those living and dead who have contributed to man's conquest of the air. Lakehurst is the only air station where the Navy raises and trains carrier pigeons."
--- New Jersey: A Guide to Its Present and Past, 1939
Just south of the entrance to Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Station (NAES), the Cathedral of the Air sits stately amongst the pines. Lakehurst was known for its "lighter-than-air" blimp programs at the time of this publication. Later, this station became known for helicopters and launch and recovery systems for aircrafts. This cathedral was built by the American Legion to honor those that made history here.
The gray stones of the cathedral sit beautifully against the pines, which have grown in over the years. Also, after 9/11, a stone and iron fence barrier was built to protect the church from car bombings.