Curry County Courthouse - Gold Beach, OR
Posted by: silverquill
N 42° 25.022 W 124° 25.179
10T E 383197 N 4697056
Quick Description: Although the seat of Curry County since 1859, Gold Beach, Oregon, was not officially incorporated until 1945. It is named for George Law Curry, Oregon's first governor. This court house was built in 1958 on the scenic Coast Highway, Route 101.
Location: Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 2/19/2009 12:29:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM5W6H
Curry County was created on December 18, 1855, from the southern part of Coos County. Initially it was proposed that the new county be name after Captain William Tichenor, council member from Port Orford. However, he declined because his constituents wanted to honor the territorial governor, George Law Curry.
Curry County is situated along the Pacific Coast in the southwest corner of Oregon. It is bounded on the south by California, on the west by the Pacific Ocean, on the north by Coos County, and on the east by Josephine County.
In 1859, following an informal vote of county citizens during the general election, Ellensburg was designated the county seat. In 1891 Ellensburg was renamed Gold Beach because of the gold and other minerals found in the sands in this area and to eliminate confusion with the city of Ellensburg located in the state of Washington.
The first courthouse was in Judge Fred Smith's home in Port Orford. Apparently the town's inability to finance the construction of a proper courthouse was a factor in the vote that favored the move to Gold Beach. The first courthouse in Gold Beach was replaced in 1912. The current courthouse was constructed in 1958.