Spanish Mortar memorial - University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posted by: GT.US
N 42° 16.552 W 083° 44.355
17T E 274115 N 4684039
Quick Description: This cannon is found on the West side of Hatcher Library South.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 2/7/2009 9:27:36 AM
Waymark Code: WM5RGW
The University of Michigan website at (visit link
) tells us:
"This mortar was cast in Seville, Spain in 1724 and later used in Cuba. It was one of four captured guns given to the state of Michigan and is purported to be from Morro Castle. It was obtained by the Class of 1899 as a gift to the University to serve as a memorial to UM men who fought in the Spanish-American War. The inscription reads: "Erected in honor of the U of M men who fought in the war against Spain - Class of '99." The mortar originally stood at the base of the flagpole, which had been acquired in 1898. Both flagpole and mortar were moved in 1918 when the old library was demolished to make way for the current Hatcher Library. "