Dorchester Presbyterian Church - Dorchester, GA
N 31° 45.543 W 081° 21.291
17R E 466395 N 3513783
Quick Description: Dorchester Presbyterian Church was built in 1854 and is located on Brigdon Rd 0.3 mile from Ga 38 5.3 miles east of Midway, Ga. It is no longer used for active service.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 2/2/2009 6:18:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM5QHN
The historical marker reads:
"This church, built in 1854 on a lot of four acres donated by B. A. Busbee, was first used for summer services only. On January 6, 1871, it was admitted into the Savannah Presbytery as an organized church of 14 members. The Rev. J. W. Montgomery was the first pastor. L. J. Mallard was the first ruling elder. The bell, from old Sunbury, was once used for church, school, market and town. The font and communion service are from Midway Church. The font was a gift from Dr. William McWhir, the tankard from John Lambert, the communion service from Simon Monroe, Esq. Elders contributing most in later years - Preston Waite and Charles B. Jones.
089-11 Georgia Historical Commission 1957"
Presbyterian Denomination: Vacant/Inactive
Dorchester, GA USA
Date Built: 1854
Architect: Not listed
Relevant Web Site: Not listed
Give the date and short description of your visit. Additional photos are encouraged.