Moore County Courthouse - Building - #79001738
Posted by: PFF
N 35° 20.743 W 079° 25.055
17S E 643794 N 3912532
Quick Description: Fifth county courthouse for Moore County, NC, completed in 1923.
Location: North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 2/2/2009 3:15:11 AM
Waymark Code: WM5Q9C
Moore County was created by a division of Cumberland County in 1784. The first courthouse was a log building, constructed the following year. It was moved in 1814 to the current "courthouse square". Two more replacements followed in 1820 and in 1840.
Despite being constructed of brick, the courthouse burned on September 5th, 1889, and over 100 years of county records were destroyed, making another building replacement necessary.
Additional physical problems befell the courthouse over the years, so in 1922, a bond was passed that allowed $150,000 for construction of the current courthouse. It is constructed entirely of Indiana Limestone and was completed in 1923.
The main entrance is on the western side. In modern times, the grounds have been encroached by road widening and barely accommodate the building's footprint on the south, east and north sides. This enchroachment caused the loss of the 1898 Magnetic Meridian Station--a pair of granite markers used by surveyors to calibrate their compasses. A grassy area has been preserved on the western side, and two Civil War cannons remain, as does a memorial to a WWI aviator. However, these articles are very close to the curb of the street.
A newer courthouse stands across the street on the east side of Dowd Street. And remembering the disastrous 1889 fire (and to prevent another loss of records), the Register of Deeds has an underground storage vault which is dug into the hillside on the west side of Dowd Street.
The Carthage Historic District extends several blocks to the west of the courthouse. It contains the one remaining building of the Buggy Factory, a stone Community House built in 1940, and several Victorian houses.
102 Monroe Street
Carthage, NC United States
County / Borough / Parish: Moore County
Year listed: 1979
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1900-1924
Historic function: Government, Courthouse
Current function: County Administrative Offices
Privately owned?: no
Hours of operation: From: 8:00 AM To: 5:00 PM
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.