Walthourville Presbyterian Church - Walthourville, GA
N 31° 45.008 W 081° 36.820
17R E 441878 N 3512904
Quick Description: The Walthourville Presbyterian Church located on Tibet Rd in Walthourville, GA
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 2/1/2009 5:43:31 PM
Waymark Code: WM5Q54
The historical marker reads:
"This church was the first colony to go out from old Midway Congregational Church. The first building was erected in 1820 on land donated by Andrew Walthour. The present one, constructed near the original site in 1884, replaced buildings destroyed by fire and storm. Wathouville Presbyterian Church was organized in 1855. First pastors were the Rev. John Jones, supply, the Rev. Robert S. Mallard; elders, William Q. Baker, Thomas S. Mallard; deacons, David A. Miller, Thomas W. Quarterman. Second in size in Georgia Presbytery in 1861, this church led in benevolent gifts. The original site for the Walthourville Cemetery nearby was donated by William D. Bacon in 1872."
The church is used only irregularly.
Presbyterian Denomination: Presbyterian Church (USA)
Status: Active House of Worship
Walthourville, GA USA
Date Built: 1884
Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]
Architect: Not listed
Give the date and short description of your visit. Additional photos are encouraged.