ELIZABETHTOWN , Texas
Posted by: txoilgas
N 33° 00.960 W 097° 16.271
14S E 661479 N 3654388
Quick Description: Elizabethtown was located on the north side of Elizabeth Creek in southwest Denton County. Elizabethtown Cemetery is located on the south side of Elizabeth Creek on Elizabethtown Cemetery Road.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 1/25/2009 6:12:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM5N9K
Elizabethtown was settled by members of the Peters Colony around 1850. The community was a supply on the cattle trail to Kansas. The community at one time had six saloons, a hotel, a post office from 1870 to 1881 called Elizabeth, a school, two churches, a doctor, two blacksmiths, four general stores, a wagonmaker, a carpenter, a livery stable and a masonic lodge. Elizabethtown was also known as Bugtown after a swarm of bugs attacked a camp meeting that stopped the preaching. In 1881, the Texas and Pacific Railway bypassed Elizabethtown two miles to the east and many residents moved to the railroad to establish the community of Roanoke. Submitted by: Glenn Howard
Elizabethtown was on the north side of Elizabeth Creek, from which the town derived its name, in the southwest corner of the Shamblen survey, fifteen miles southwest of Denton in Denton County. The first settlers there, members of the Peters colony, arrived around 1850. The settlement served as a supply station in 1852 for cowboys driving their herds north to Kansas. The town's founders, the Harmonsons, built a church, homes, a business, and a school, which at one time had twenty-five students. In 1859 the town had six saloons, a hotel, and a post office. George Harper, the doctor, was postmaster; M. H. Smith, Newton Chance, and Amos Bullard were blacksmiths; Sewell Brown was a merchant, James Snyder a wagonmaker, and Robert Wright a carpenter. The Civil War left the frontier west of Denton County undefended against Indians, however, and many families moved east, though they later returned. As Elizabethtown grew, it acquired four general stores, a hotel and livery stable, Baptist and Methodist churches, and a Masonic lodge that functioned from 1873 to 1876. According to residents of nearby Justin, Elizabethtown was once nicknamed Bugtown, after bugs swarmed to the lights at a camp meeting one night in such numbers that it was necessary to stop the preaching. The 1880 tax roll is the last roll of Denton County in which Elizabethtown is mentioned. The Texas and Pacific Railway, built from Fort Worth through Denton County in 1881, bypassed Elizabethtown by two miles. When this happened, many residents moved two miles east to the new town of Roanoke with their businesses, churches, and lodge. The Elizabeth Cemetery, which is still in use, is all that remains of what was the first town in southwest Denton County.