White County Courthouse ~ Carmi, IL
Posted by: YoSam.
N 38° 05.467 W 088° 09.514
16S E 398405 N 4216558
Quick Description: The White County Courthouse is in Carmi, the county seat.
Outlined by the Little Wabash River, Carmi marks the transition between the open prairie and the hilly country of southern Illinois. The center of an oil-producing area shared by three states.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 1/18/2009 8:57:20 AM
Waymark Code: WM5KEB
Text of Plaques on Courthouse: This Courthouse, built in 1883
on the site of the
1828 White County Courthouse
is hereby designated
A HISTORIC LANDMARK
WHITE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
This plaque presented to the people of White County in recognition of the 100th birthday of the White County Courthouse.
Judge Henry Lewis
States Attorney Thomas H. Sutton
County Clerk L. D. Ziegler
Circuit Clerk Billy F. Malone
Treasurer Chester Carter
Sheriff Robert L. Duckworth
Coroner Carl McVey
County Board Members 1983
Dist. 1 James P. Taylor
Dist. 2 Bernard Austin
Dist. 3 James L. Clark
Dist. 4 Gene Garrett, Chm.
Dist. 5 Kenny Conner
Notes from the White County Historical Society: The Carmi Times
" Named for Leonard White, pioneer of Gallatin County, Major of the Territorial militia, member of the Constitutional Convention of 1818, State Senator in the second and third General Assemblies.
The first courthouse was in the cabin of John Craw." ~ Illinois Courts