Adath Israel Temple - Cleveland, Mississippi
Posted by: BruceS
N 33° 44.577 W 090° 43.493
15S E 710754 N 3735980
Quick Description: Historic Jewish temple in Cleveland, Mississippi.
Location: Mississippi, United States
Date Posted: 1/11/2009 2:53:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM5J1H
The Adath Israel Congregation was organized in 1923 as an outgrowth of a
Hebrew Sunday School established the previous year. Initially meeting in
the Cleveland School, the congregation built the Adath Israel temple in 1927 in
the Byzantine style. The first congregation president was J.S. Borodofsky, and
Jacob Halevi served as the first resident rabbi. The Adath Israel
Sisterhood was organized in 1922. A temple annex, designed by architect
Harold Kaplan of Greenville, was completed in 1949-1950. ~ text of historical marker
The Temple is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.