Iron Block - Milwaukee, WI
N 43° 02.313 W 087° 54.533
16T E 425964 N 4765496
Quick Description: The Iron Block is so named because its facade is cast iron. It was built in 1860 and is located at 205 E. Wisconsin Ave. in Milwaukee, WI.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 12/25/2008 6:40:26 PM
Waymark Code: WM5E1J
The City of Milwaukee Department of City Development web site has the Historic Preservation Report for the East Side Historic District (visit link
) which tells the following about the Iron Block:
"The Iron Block is Milwaukee’s only remaining cast iron façade building. Like the State Bank and the Bank of Milwaukee buildings, it is designated in the Italian Renaissance Revival Style. The building was designed by George H. Johnson, manager of the architectural department of Daniel Badger’s Architectural Iron Works in New York City. The facades are articulated in the North Italian mode with rusticated wall surfaces punctuated by a series of round arched windows. The corners and piers are outlined with vermiculated blocks and lion heads enrich the belt course and cornice lines. In 1899 the building was enlarged with a four bay wide addition to the south. It was constructed of cream brick, but was designed to harmonize with the original building. The rusticated piers and cornice design was carried through in the addition. On the ground floor and mezzanine are retail shops, while offices occupy the upper three floors. In 1984 an intensive restoration of the building was undertaken returning the exterior to nearly its original appearance. The interior was completely refurbished for the shops and offices that now occupy the building (NRHP 12-27-74)"