Bucyrus Public Library, Bucyrus, Ohio
Posted by: boatchick
N 40° 48.526 W 082° 58.429
17T E 333515 N 4519403
Quick Description: The Bucyrus library has been evolving in the same location for over 100 years.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 12/11/2008 12:16:26 PM
Waymark Code: WM5B8B
To honor the Civil War dead, the Memorial Library Association was established in Bucyrus in 1894. In 1896, they had a small building constructed at the corner of Walnut and Mansfield Streets. This building was quickly outgrown, but a 1905 Carnegie grant of $15,000 made possible the construction of a new building at the same site. The two-story brick building, designed by John King of Galion, opened in June of 1906. An 1989 addition in the back matched the original construction. In 2008, the library is undergoing another expansion project. While it is not a match for the original building, some design elements like the corner entrance are used in the new wing. The library has been keeping a construction and renovation blog
to record the progess being made on the new addition. Of special interest is the March 19th
entry, which shows the floor plans of the original building, the 1989 expansion, and the newest addition.
Armentrout, Mary Ellen. Carnegie Libraries of Ohio
Bucyrus Public Library