By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Milwaukee State Teachers College - Milwaukee, WI
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member onfire4jesus
N 43° 04.551 W 087° 52.678
16T E 428526 N 4769611
Quick Description: The Milwaukee State Teachers College was founded in 1885 and moved to the present location in 1909. The college merged with the University of Wisconsin in 1955. The University is located at 3203 N. Downer Ave. in Milwaukee, WI.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 11/30/2008 6:54:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM597J
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 9

Long Description:

32. The MILWAUKEE STATE TEACHERS COLLEGE, 3203 N. Downer Ave., occupies a campus of approximately 32 acres. The plant of the college, on the east campus of 16 acres, consists of a three-story red-brick building of American Renaissance design, a combined gymnasium and field house, and a heating plant. A new library is in course of construction (1939).

The west campus contains a modern football field, track, concrete tennis courts, hockey and baseball fields. A small concrete stadium is being built (1939).

The school awards a bachelor of science in education degree. Noted for its fearless support of democracy in ideology and administration, the college also has acquired repute for high scholastic standards, for its division of exceptional children, which trains teachers for the deaf and mentally handicapped, and for its campus training school and art and music schools.

The college was established on its present campus in 1909 when increased enrollment forced it to abandon an earlier building where the school was founded in 1885 as the fifth State "Normal School."
---Wisconsin, A Guide to the Badger State, 1941

Today the college is part of the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. Some of the buildings described in the book still exist.

The marker reads:

"THE UNIVERSITY OF
WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
Milwaukee's State Normal School, which was founded in 1885 on the city's west side to train teachers, relocated in 1909 to this building, Mitchell Hall, then located on 11-1/2 acres. Designed by Van Ryn and de Gelleke, expanded in 1912, and named after a distinguished Milwaukee family, Mitchell Hall continued as "Old Main" when the institution became degree-granting Milwaukee State Teachers College in 1927 and Wisconsin State College in 1951. The College merged with the University of Wisconsin's Milwaukee Extension Center in 1955-56 to become the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The campus soon expanded to 91 acres, facilities were continuously cconstructed, and both undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including doctorates, grew and developed, with a student body of more than 25,000 as early as 1974. Mitchell Hall, renovated in 1977, continues to provide major classroom and office facilities.
ERECTED 1992"
Book: Wisconsin

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 260

Year Originally Published: 1941

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
cldisme visited Milwaukee State Teachers College - Milwaukee, WI 8/14/2011 cldisme visited it
onfire4jesus visited Milwaukee State Teachers College - Milwaukee, WI 8/31/2008 onfire4jesus visited it

View all visits/logs