Wauwatosa Woman's Club Clubhouse - Wauwatosa, WI
N 43° 03.151 W 088° 00.432
16T E 417974 N 4767138
Quick Description: The Wauwatosa Woman's Club Clubhouse was built in 1924. It is located at 1626 N Wauwatosa Ave in Wauwatosa, WI
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 11/28/2008 8:28:47 PM
Waymark Code: WM58Q3
From the Milwaukee County Historical Society web site (visit link
"The clubhouse of the Wauwatosa Woman’s Club was constructed in 1924-25. Its local significance lies in its being a fine example of the Colonial Revival style of architecture. It represents the Yankee background of many of its members during its first three decades as a women’s club, a period when people still remembered its origins as a Yankee community.
The Club’s location was determined by a gift of land from a mid-19th century pioneer who had been a major force in the last decade of the century in fashioning an urban center out of a rural farm community. The site on Wauwatosa Avenue , the city’s main thoroughfare, is a few blocks away from the settlement of 1835 which evolved into a “village” long before it was incorporated as a municipality. The donor of the lot obliged the Club to design a museum within the building celebrating the role of Wauwatosa ’s pioneers.
The Woman’s Club also is significant for its social history. Before the construction of the clubhouse, the Club had become a social center for the women of Wauwatosa , providing opportunities for self-improvement and intellectual growth and service to the community.
Later, as men developed business organizations and luncheon clubs, the Club stood as a rare facility where women could hold organized social activities, a function which it continues to provide today. The completion of the building in 1925 stimulated Club members in many ways and the Club’s influence may be said to have peaked along with its membership rolls a half century later."