Podunk School - Webster Township, Michigan
Posted by: GT.US
N 42° 21.841 W 083° 49.410
17T E 267493 N 4694056
Quick Description: The Podunk school was a one room school in Webster Township, Michigan, which has been moved to the Historical Museum.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 11/13/2008 7:14:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM557V
The following website (visit link) tells us:
"PODUNK SCHOOL HOUSE
Podunk School, built around 1850, was located on Walsh Road at Merkle Road, in Webster Township. At the time it had an enrollment of 83 students and an allocation from the county of $21.42. As tuition, each student was required to furnish a half cord of wood prepared to fit the school stove.
After the rural school system was consolidated, the one-room building was sold at public auction, and used for some 30 years as a wagon shed for storage. The "teacher’s end" of the building had been cut away to provide a large doorway. Over the ensuing years, all the sill-understructure had rotted away.
The Historical Society purchased the building in 1992 from Pat Farrell. After trimming trees for clearance along Walsh, Mast, North Territorial and Webster Church Roads, the building was loaded onto wheel dollies and on September 9, 1992 moved 8 miles to its present site.
All the under-structure was replaced; windows repaired and restored; the wagon shed doors were removed and the blackboard wall was re-constructed; a stone foundation was built; damage to the roof and eaves caused during the move was repaired; the framing, interior walls and ceiling were squared, leveled and evened and the building was insulated and the interior dry-walled; it has been completely rewired; a heating system installed; the floor sanded and refinished; the teacher's platform has been reconstructed; the front porch has been poured; the wainscoting has been repaired and the double doorway vestibule wall and shelving restored.
The interior has been painted to match the original colors. As in 1901, a bell tower has now been added and an original Webster Township school house bell summons students to class.
To date, completely restored, furnished with period artifacts and ready for use, the Historical Society has invested $26,827.63 in Podunk School. Other organizations that have taken on similar projects report investments in excess of $125,000 for a like accomplishment."
The Webster Township photo gallery at
(visit link) provides us this interior photo