New Richmond Waterfront - New Richmond, OH
Posted by: graylling
N 38° 57.055 W 084° 17.026
16S E 735384 N 4314838
Quick Description: The New Richmond waterfront was an important staging point for the members of the Underground Railroad.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 11/11/2008 11:17:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM54XP
During the mid 1800s, the village of New Richmond was an important site in the activities of the Underground Railroad and abolitionism. Many of the local people were staunch abolitionists and provided shelter and funds to help escaped slaves make their way to freedom.
Quote from the Clermont County Freedom Trail website:
"This riverfront park was once an active port, in the 19th Century, for transporting agricultural products from the surrounding area. The village was an early center of abolitionist activity, hosting the first Anti-Slavery Society in Clermont County. James G. Birney published “The Philanthropist” newspaper in the village during 1836. Many fugitives passed through the village. In one instance, an escaped slave named Leroy Lee found assistance in New Richmond on his way to Cincinnati. Slave hunters captured him and returned through the village only to be confronted by a large crowd demanding his release. The slave hunters were fortunate to escape the villagers and Leroy Lee stayed in New Richmond until he enlisted in the U.S. Army"
Web site: [Web Link]
Site Details: public park
Open to the public?: Public
Name of organization who placed the marker: Clermont County
Address: Not listed
Provide an original photo of the building and/or marker, and describe your visit.