Florentine Lions - Philadelphia, PA
Posted by: ODragon
N 39° 58.969 W 075° 13.325
18S E 481038 N 4425873
Quick Description: A pair of lions.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 10/20/2008 12:32:45 PM
Waymark Code: WM503X
There is not much known about the pair of Florentine Lion statues outside of the Mann Center other than they were made in 1849.
From (visit link
Title: Florentine Lions, (sculpture).
Dates: Cast 1849. Installed April 1887.
Lions: bronze; Bases: concrete on brick.
Dimensions: 2 lions. Each lion: approx. H. 46 in. W. 54 in.; Each base: approx. H. 62 in. W. 65 in.
Inscription: (Base on front of each brick base:) In recognition of her tireless dedication to musical excellence, her friends salute Helen W. Martin, Executive Director and Vice President, the Mann Music Center. unsigned
Description: Two standing lions, each with its front paw resting on a ball. Each lion is installed atop a small concrete base which rest on top of a low rectangular brick base.
Remarks: At one time this pair of lions flanked the Welsh Memorial at the 42nd Street entrance to Fairmount Park. The lions were cast in 1849 from a pair at the Imperial Head Mechanical Works in Alexandroffsky Russia. The casts were a gift of Mrs. A. M. Eastwick to the Fairmount Park Art Association.