Fine Arts Center, Cedarville University, Cedarville, Ohio
Posted by: boatchick
N 39° 44.659 W 083° 48.473
17S E 259410 N 4403150
Quick Description: The Cedarville library served both the college and the community for many years.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 9/27/2008 8:51:34 AM
Waymark Code: WM4T96
The Cedarville Carnegie Library was opened in 1908 to serve both Cedarville College and the city of Cedarville. (Several Carnegie Libraries, including those in Oberlin and Athens, Ohio, were intended for this kind of dual usage.) Cedarville College raised nearly $12,000 for the library, and Andrew Carnegie made a matching endowment. The building was designed to be a library as well to house classrooms for the college.
The county library system took over management of the Cedarville library in 1937, but in 1958, the college separated their book collection from the public library collection. By 1961, the public library had moved to the old post office building, leaving the Carnegie building space to the college alone. The college library moved out in 1967, and the Carnegie building has since been used for classrooms and offices. Now known as the Fine Arts Center, it is home to drawing, painting, printmaking, and ceramics studios.