Original African-American Cemetery
N 37° 46.332 W 079° 26.572
17S E 637138 N 4181682
Quick Description: Historical marker noting the location of Lexington's original African-American cemetery.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 9/13/2008 11:04:09 PM
Waymark Code: WM4P1P
Actual cemetery location was near the intersection of Washington & Lewis Streets. Marker is on the US 11 bypass. Marker text is as follows:
Near the intersection of Washington and Lewis Streets stood the original burial ground for Lexington's substantial free black community and slaves dating to the early 1800s. The majority of the original burials were in unmarked graves and no records were maintained of these burials. The Town of Lexington obtained ownership of the cemetery in 1876 and closed it in 1880 and the persons buried there were purportedly moved to Evergreen Cemetery, although there is little information to document the extent of reburials. In 1946 the Town of Lexington subdivided the old cemetery and houses were built over the burial ground.