St. John's Mercy Medical Center is a leader in patient care, medical education and research. Whether you come to St. John's Mercy as a patient or visitor, we will strive to provide you with high-quality care and service in every area.
A member of St. John's Mercy Health Care and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy Health System, St. John's Mercy is one of the nation's largest Catholic hospitals and the second-largest hospital in metropolitan St. Louis. We operate the only Level I Trauma Center and Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in St. Louis County, and we are proud to serve as the community hospital for patients with a variety of conditions and health needs. As a teaching and research hospital, St. John's Mercy utilizes innovative technology and draws health care professionals from across the nation who practice in nearly every clinical specialty.
By providing comprehensive health services within the St. Louis community, St. John's Mercy has progressively evolved from a 25-bed infirmary for women and children in 1871 to our current Medical Center campus in west St. Louis County, which comprises nearly 80 acres. The Medical Center campus includes: an 859-bed, fully accredited teaching hospital; a nine-level Heart Hospital with 96 private patient rooms; a 100,000-square-foot Cancer Center with advanced diagnostic and treatment capabilities; dedicated inpatient women's health services, including a two-story addition exclusively for mothers and babies and featuring all private rooms; a comprehensive Children's Hospital, including a pediatric emergency department and the only pediatric intensive care unit in St. Louis County; a Surgery Center that provides inpatient and outpatient surgical services; and a 120-bed Skilled Nursing Center.
While size and diversity allow St. John's Mercy to specialize in many areas, the dignity of the individual is our primary concern. Each member of the Medical Center's treatment team is dedicated to providing high-quality health care through every service, in every area.
Rooted in Jesus’ healing mission, and faithful to the Sisters of Mercy ministry tradition marked by justice, service, excellence, stewardship and respect for the dignity of each person, St. John’s Mercy Health Care implements and advocates for innovative health and social services to improve the health and quality of life of individuals and families in the community, with particular concern for people who are underserved and poor. In doing so, we make a difference by touching the lives of those we serve with compassion and exceptional Mercy Service.
Licensed Beds: 979
(as of 06/30/2007)
~ from St. John's website (visit link
Brief History of St. John's Mercy Medical Center
The Sisters of Mercy were founded as a Religious Congregation by Catherine McAuley in Dublin, Ireland, in 1831. Members aided sick and wounded English soldiers on the Turkish border during the Crimean War.
In 1871, the Sisters of Mercy converted a classroom at St. Bridget's School (724 N. 23rd) in St. Louis into a 25-bed infirmary for women and children. Two years later the facility became a general hospital — St. John’s Hospital.
In 1910, the Sisters secured a loan to construct a 200-bed facility at Euclid and Parkview overlooking Forest Park. Even after expanding to 357 beds, adding OB, pediatrics and 24-hour emergency services, the need for beds and services continued.
In 1963, St. John's Mercy moved to its current location at Conway and Ballas. In less than two years it was treating more than 71,000 patients annually, delivering 4,400 babies, and handling 47,000 outpatient and 17,000 emergency room cases. The burn center at St. John's Mercy (started in 1967) has become the largest of its kind in the state, treating children and adults from a two-state area.
To better describe the services and care available, St. John's Mercy Hospital became St. John's Mercy Medical Center on February 4, 1971. More recently, the Medical Center has embarked upon a long-term master facility plan that has already given rise to two new floors in the main hospital building, providing 66 private rooms for new mothers and two full-term nurseries. The David C. Pratt Cancer Center was opened in 2003, bringing the Medical Center's extensive oncology services together in one location. In 2006, the St. John's Mercy Heart Hospital became the region's first hospital dedicated to heart and vascular care.
And true to its beginnings, St. John's Mercy is still known for its care for mothers and babies. The Medical Center's 100-bed OB service, including a 27-bed neonatal intensive care unit, is recognized as a leader in the St. Louis area.
~ from St. John's Mercy website (visit link