N 28° 32.486 W 081° 22.654
17R E 463063 N 3157240
Quick Description: The Rogers Building, also known as the English Club, is located in Orlando, Florida, and was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 7/27/2008 10:30:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM49Z1
The following information about the Rogers Building is available on the internet (visit link)
37-39 South Magnolia Avenue
Original Owner: Gordon Rogers (born in England, moved to Florida in 1883 and to Orlando in 1886)
Architect: William H Mullins
Style: Queen Anne - pine & cypress covered with stucco, and later, zinc panels
Modifications: pre-1906 pressed zinc panels made to look like carved stone were put over the stucco. In July 1926, Arthur M. Higgins purchased the building for $80,000. The building was reinforced with steel beams and remodeled. The building next door was also covered with zinc panels and was made a part of the Rogers Building.
Notes: National Register of Historic Places, Orlando Historic Landmark
Current Owner: The Gallery at Avalon Island LTD. The main building and the carriage house continue to be treated as separate entities by the Orange County Property Appraiser.
Businesses: The Cosmopolitan Club, the English Club (both English men’s clubs), a grocery, The South Florida Sentinel newspaper (one of the papers that eventually merged into the Orlando Sentinel), a beauty shop, Arthur Murray’s Dance Studio and several Restaurants. It currently is the home of Guinevere’s a coffeehouse, the Gallery at Avalon Island, an art gallery, and Mad Cow Theatre. Interestingly enough all names that remind one of England.