The following text is an excerpt from the interpretive sign at the Dudley Digges house. It now serves as administrative headquarters for the Yorktown section of the Colonial National Historic Park.
Dudley Digges built this classic Virginia Tidewater style home around 1760. The outbuildings, wellhouse, kitchen, granary, and smokehouse are typical of those found in the Colonial era. The house was restored in 1960 and the outbuildings were reconstructed by the National Park Service in the 1970's.
The Digges family participated in Colonial government since the immigration in 1650 of Dudley's great-grandfather, Edward Digges, from England. Dudley was born around 1728 and by his early 20's was a practicing lawyer in York County. He served in the House of Burgesses from 1752 until the start of the American Revolutionary War.
Dudley's home, like so many other Yorktown houses, was damaged during the 1781 siege and rendered uninhabitable. Dudley moved to Williamsburg and died there in 1799.