By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Statue of William Henry Harrison - Cincinnati, Ohio
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 39° 06.248 W 084° 31.018
16S E 714708 N 4331267
Quick Description: Equestrian statue of the 9th President of the United States.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 6/27/2008 11:48:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM42AG
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Hikenutty
Views: 65

Long Description:

At the Vine St. entrance to the park is the imposing STATUE OF WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON, a large bronze creation on a granite pedestal, showing the uniformed General astride a horse.  It was modeled in the early 1890's by Louis Rebisso, but delays by officials kept the statue in the basement of the National Guard Armory until 1895, when it was put up at the present site.  Dedication took place in 1896.

Harrison (1773-1841) was born at Berkeley, Virginia, and educated at Hampden-Sydney College.  Upon entering the army, he was stationed at Fort Washington in Cincinnati for several years, acting as General Wayne's aide-de-camp during the Indian campaign.  In 1795 Harrison married the daughter of John Cleves Symmes.  Becoming Governor of the Indiana Territory., he made treaties with the Indians that brought several million acres of land under Federal jurisdiction; when the Indians became restive, he gave them battle at Tippecanoe and defeated them.  As commander of the Army of the Northwest during the War of 1812, Harrison had much to do with the successful conclusion.

He emerged from the war a public hero.  Establishing his home at North Bend, near Cincinnati, he took up farming, but soon entered upon a political career that carried him to the Ohio legislature, the House of Representatives, and the United States Senate.  He was nominated for the Presidency in 1840; and, amid miniature log cabins, free cider, campaign songs and rousing oratory, the old General easily won out over Van Buren.  One month after taking office he died of pneumonia.  At North Bend, where he is buried, an imposing monument has been placed above his grave.

- Cincinnati: A Guide to the Queen City and Its Neighbors, Tour 7, pgs. 199-200

The statue of William Henry Harrison was moved in 1988 when Piatt Park was renovated about two blocks west of where it is listed in the Guide.  The statue now stands at Elm Street entrance to the park and faces to the west rather than east.

Book: Cincinnati

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 199 - 200

Year Originally Published: 1943

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Skywatcher57 visited Statue of William Henry Harrison - Cincinnati, Ohio 11/15/2017 Skywatcher57 visited it
buffalohiker visited Statue of William Henry Harrison - Cincinnati, Ohio 5/23/2011 buffalohiker visited it

View all visits/logs