Knott House Museum - Tallahassee, FL
N 30° 26.507 W 084° 16.756
16R E 761286 N 3370884
Quick Description: The Knott House in Tallahassee, Florida, USA, was built circa 1840, was remodeled in 1928, and has been restored to its 1928 state and turned into a house museum.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 6/15/2008 11:05:36 AM
Waymark Code: WM4048
From the Knott House Museum
"The Knott House was built around 1843 for Thomas and Catherine Gamble Hagner, possibly by free black builder George Proctor who built some of Tallahassee's finer homes of that era. Originally, the house was about half its current size, with six rooms and a side hall. Catherine Hagner added six more rooms in around 1853, bringing the house to close to its current layout. Union General Edward M. McCook occupied the Knott House at the end of the Civil War, reading from its front steps the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves of North Florida. May 20th is still celebrated as Emancipation Day in this area. In 1883, physician George Betton purchased the Knott House from Catherine Hagner, reportedly conducting his practice from an office in the basement. He sponsored the training of Dr. William Gunn, the first African-American in Florida to graduate from medical school. In the early twentieth century, three Florida Supreme Court Justices and their families lived in the Knott House in succession: Frances Carter from Pensacola; Charles Parkhill from Tampa; and T.M. Shackleford from Tampa. The Knott family acquired their Park Avenue home in 1928, adding the Classical Revival portico to the front of the building. They also decorated the home with Luella's Victorian furnishings. She wrote poems about many of the pieces in the house, attaching to the furnishings with satin ribbons. William V. Knott had an active political career. He served as State Treasurer twice (1903-1912 and 1928-1941), State Comptroller (1912-1916), and ran unsuccessfully for Governor in 1916, against Sidney J. Catts. Luella and William's three children went on to make their own marks in Florida history: J. Charles Knott was general counsel to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles; Mary Knott Bazemore was the second woman in Florida to receive her medical degree; and James R. Knott served as circuit court judge in Palm Beach. Luella and William lived in the house until their deaths, within a few days of each other, in 1965. Luella was 93 and William was 101. Son, J. Charles Knott inherited the house and lived there until his death in 1985. The Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board accepted the house to operate as a museum in 1986. After a $900,000 museum quality restoration, funded by Florida Department of State Historic Preservation Grants, the Knott House opened to the public in 1992. It is currently operated as a museum by the Florida Department of State, Museum of Florida History."
See Long Description.
301 East Park Avenue
Tallahassee, Florida 32301
Hours of Operation:
(Regular guided tours on the hour)
Museum Size: Small
Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]
Food Court: Not Listed
Gift Shop: Not Listed
Cost: Not Listed
In order to log this waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. Please post a picture of yourself or your GPSr in front some identifiable feature or point of interest either in the museum, or on the museum grounds.