Posted by: hardyp3
N 37° 38.982 W 085° 31.692
16S E 629836 N 4167968
Quick Description: This marker is in Nelson County near Gethsemani, one mile east of the junction of Ky 247 and 52, and marks the site of the fort built by Samuel Pottinger which protected the early settlement of Bardstown.
Location: Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 5/26/2008 5:02:28 PM
Waymark Code: WM3WMF
Site of one of the forts which protected the early settlement of Bardstown. Built by Samuel Pottinger, soldier in Revolution, who first saw the land in 1778 when he came from Maryland with troops of Capt. James Harrod. In 1781 Pottinger returned with his family and built station. It was often used as a refuge for other settlers migrating to Kentucky.
In 1778 Pottinger and Harrod were hunting near Heatons Creek in Nelson County, and Harrod renamed it after his companion. It is still called Pottinger's Creek.
Soon Pottinger made a name for himself in Nelson County. In 1781 he set up a fort a mile southwest of the present Gethsemani Abbey, known as Pottinger Station. This is the second fort made within the present
bound of Nelson County. Pottinger's station (or fort) consisted of a square enclosure, with a log cabin at each corner, the walls of the
fortification being logs placed on end. Several families who made the long journey together from Maryland occupied this stockade and settlers coming in from various parts of the East sought refuge there from the dangers of the forest.
Marker Name: Pottinger's Station
Marker Location: Roadside
Type of Marker: Fort
Marker Number (for official markers): 1433
Group(s) Responsible for placing Marker:
Kentucky Historical Society
Kentucky Department of Highways
A picture of the site or anything specific to the text on marker.