FORT MITCHELL, 1864-1867
N 41° 51.436 W 103° 44.152
13T E 604926 N 4634701
Quick Description: Fort built during the Indian Wars near Scotts Bluff, NE
Location: Nebraska, United States
Date Posted: 5/13/2008 7:13:11 AM
Waymark Code: WM3T0W
Mitchell Pass and the city of Mitchell, Nebraska, derive their names from a military post built near here during the Indian Wars. No trace of the sod structure remains at the site on the North Platte River bend northwest of Scott's Bluff. It was named in honor of General Robert B. Mitchell, who ordered the establishment of several sub-stations along the Great Platte River Road between Julesburg and South Pass.
Fort Mitchell was constructed and manned in the autumn of 1864 by Company "H" of the Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry under Captain J. S. Shuman. In February 1865 they helped defend Mud Springs Station against an attack by Cheyenne. In June 1865 they rescued Fort Laramie troops ambushed by Sioux near Horse Creek. They chased Indians who tore down telegraph lines and attacked wagon trains and stage coaches.
Army records are meager, but there are eyewitness descriptions of the fort by Eugene Ware, John Bratt, and Margaret Carrington. An official ground plan and a sketch of 1866 by William H. Jackson reveal a stockade with sally-port, firing loop-holes, and a sentinel tower. A nearby "road ranch" served as the Scott's Bluff stage station. Fort Mitchell was abandoned after the Fort Laramie peace conference of 1867.
Mitchell Bicentennial Committee
Nebraska State Historical Society
1/2 mile south of junc. of Hwys. 92-29 E of Mitchell
Scotts Bluff County
Marker Name: FORT MITCHELL, 1864-1867
Web Address if available:: [Web Link]
City: Not Listed
Other: Not Listed
1. Close up of historical marker
2. Picture of surrounding area (would prefer to have the marker in the picture also). Thanks!