Niagara County Courthouse and County Clerk's Office - Lockport, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 43° 10.193 W 078° 41.972
17T E 686993 N 4782249
Quick Description: A pair of Neoclassical buildings in historic Lockport, NY have been the homes of civic activity in Niagara County for over 100 years.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 5/8/2008 7:17:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM3R3P
The Niagara County Courthouse and County Clerk's Office Complex is significant as a pair of civic buildings constructed in stages between the mid-19th and early 20th centuries. Each building embodies features typical of its several design stages. The two buildings received an overlay of complementary features in the Neoclassical style, the preferred style for civic architecture in this period.
The courthouse was originally constructed in 1886 in the Second Empire style. Characteristic features include the horizontal division into pavilions, mansard roof and original projecting multi-stage entrance tower. It was designed by M.E. Beebe and Sons, a prominent Buffalo architectural firm. The building was doubled in size between 1915-1917 and the primary entrance was shifted from the north side to the west side. The addition was designed by Chester Phelps of Niagara Falls. A third addition was added onto the back in 1955, but is not considered part of the historic aspect of the building. The beautiful structure still serves as a court for County, Family, and Surrogate Courts.
The former County Clerk's Office across the street was built in 1856 in a classical mode. The original building was enlarged in 1917, also by Chester Phelps, as part of the courthouse renovation project. He replicated the original design of the clerk's office and added a number of Neoclassical features, including the pedimented entrance and central dome. The building is now home to the county historian and public defender.
175 Hawley St and 139 Niagara St
Lockport, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Niagara
Year listed: 1997
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924
Historic function: Government: Customhouse, Government Office
Current function: Government: Customhouse, Government Office
Season start / Season finish: From: 1/1/2008 To: 12/31/2008
Hours of operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Privately owned?: Not Listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.