Battery 248, on War Alert - Fort Ebey, WA
Posted by: Hikenutty
N 48° 13.073 W 122° 45.710
10U E 517691 N 5340544
Quick Description: Fort Ebey's Battery 248 was built in 1942 and at the time was the most modern defenses protecting the sound.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 5/8/2008 3:14:11 PM
Waymark Code: WM3R29
The marker reads as follows:
This was Battery 248, the primary gun battery of Fort Ebey and one of the most modern defenses protecting Puget Sound. Construction began in 1942 and the 6-inch guns were installed by the end of 1943.
The battery was designed to coordinate its fire with other installations on this coast between Fort Casey and Deception Pass. Battery 248 protected the entrance to Admiralty Inlet during WWII. As the war progressed in the western Pacific, it became clear that Japanese vessels would never seriously menace Puget Sound. Fort Ebey and its sister stations maintained the alert, but never fired their guns at anything but practice targets. The army removed the guns after the war but continued to use the property as a training facility. Conversion of military land to state park use began in 1965.
You'll find this marker next to Battery 248 in the picnic area of Fort Ebey State Park.