Beguinage "De Wijngaard" - Bruges, Brussels
Posted by: Squirreleen
N 51° 12.100 E 003° 13.417
31U E 515623 N 5672275
Quick Description: Founded in 1245, became a monestary in 1937 for Benedictine sisters.
Date Posted: 5/4/2008 6:42:18 PM
Waymark Code: WM3QDK
The Beguinuage is a courtyard of houses founded by the Countess of Flanders, Margaretha of Constantinople in 1245. In 1937 it became a monastery for the Benedictine sisters. The entrance gate depicts the date 1776, although many of the houses are much older than that.
The courtyard is open to the public during the day, and tourists regularly stream through it.
See the Wikipedia entry
for more information about Beguinages.