OLD ST. ANDREW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH Stained Glass Window - Jacksonville - Florida
Posted by: macleod1
N 30° 19.559 W 081° 38.622
17R E 438119 N 3355083
Quick Description: This is a beautiful old church that is now surrounded by Sports Complexes.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 4/29/2008 4:40:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM3PB5
This towering Gothic Revival church is the largest pre-1901 house of worship in Jacksonville. When it was constructed in 1887, its architect, Robert S. Schuyler, had already established himself as an experienced designer of Episcopal churches. In addition to four Carpenter Gothic chapels in Waldo, Fairbanks, Pablo Beach, and Lake Santa Fe, Florida, Schuyler also designed St. Peter's Church in Fernandina in 1881 (one of several National Register buildings designed by Schuyler in that city). The excellence of St. Andrew's architecture was praised in the 1889 edition of King's Handbook of Notable Episcopal Churches in the United States:
This new Church, after designs of Mr. R. L. [sic.] Schuyler, architect, of Fernandina, Florida is regarded as one of the most satisfying pieces of architecture in the South. It is built of pressed brick laid in black mortar, the trimmings being of stone. The ground plan is cruciform, the vestry-room on one side and the organ-chamber on the other forming the transepts. The chancel and nave are separated by three arches of masonry. The chancel, in addition to the usual furniture, has seats for a vested choir of forty voices. The interior woodwork of the building is Florida pine, carefully selected and as carefully put together. The doors, a special gift, are made of solid mahogany. The ceiling is panelled with yellow pine. The tower rises to a height of 120 feet, and is the highest now in the city.
The once populous residential area around the church has faded in recent years, and by the late 1970's the building had fallen into disuse and disrepair. Its congregation had moved away. Vacant for over a decade, the building was one of the most perplexing challenges facing local preservationists. Ironically, the Jacksonville Jaguars helped save it.
With the coming of the NFL football team, the city government purchased much of the land around the newly constructed Alltel Stadium, including the Old St. Andrews site. The Jacksonville Historical Society was given the rights to the building if it could restore it. Thanks to the city's cooperation and a challenge grant from the Weaver Foundation, JHS was able to raise a million dollars to complete the restoration of the old church to use as its headquarters. Old St. Andrews stands proudly today as one of the finest specimens of nineteenth-century architecture in Duval County, and it is a popular spot for meetings, weddings and other civic events.
Type of building where window is located: Church
317 A. PHILIP RANDOLPH BLVD.
Jacksonville, Fl USA
Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)
Days of Operation: All Days
Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.