Kaufmann's Department Store - Pittsburgh, PA
N 40° 26.372 W 079° 59.934
17T E 584903 N 4477024
Quick Description: Kaufmann's was a department store that originated in Pittsburgh. This building is located at 400 5th Ave. It is currently a Macy's Department Store, but the building still has the Kaufmann's name above the Macy's awning.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 4/22/2008 8:02:27 PM
Waymark Code: WM3N1W
Kaufmann's Department Store (open 9-5 weekdays), SE. corner 5th Ave. and Smithfield St., has on its first floor the well-known murals by Boardman Robinson depicting the development of world commerce, framed within bakelite columns. These were Robinson's first murals, and the artist's portrait, with red beard, appears in one of them.
---Pennsylvania, A Guide to the Keystone State, 1940
"Kaufmann's was a department store that originated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The store became a regional chain in the eastern United States, and was last owned by Federated Department Stores.
Formerly part of May Department Stores prior to that company's acquisition by Federated on Aug. 30, 2005, Kaufmann's operated as part of the Filene's organization in Boston, Massachusetts.
On Feb. 1, 2006, the Filene's/Kaufmann's organization was dissolved and the management of its stores was assumed by Macy's East and the new Macy's Midwest. On Sept 9, 2006, the Kaufmann's name was retired as Federated Department Stores converted the former May Company chains to the Macy's masthead.