Old Shiloh Cemetery - Reidsville, GA
N 32° 02.365 W 082° 04.255
17S E 398886 N 3545306
Quick Description: Six generations of area residents are buried here in likely the first public cemetery in Tattnall County. This historical marker is located at the cemetery on Hwy 121 near mile marker 16 SE of Reidsville, GA.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 4/8/2008 6:38:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM3HT6
The marker reads:
"Shiloh Methodist Church, the second Methodist Church in Tattnall County, was organized c. 1810 by Rev. William Eason and remained at this site until the 1850s when it was moved a short distance north. Unlike at other churches in the area at the time, a cemetery was maintained beside the Meeting House. Six generations of area residents are buried here in likely the first public cemetery in Tattnall County. Burials include area pioneer Michael McKenzie Mattox, Methodist ministers, Confederate veterans, local and state elected officials and numerous other whites and blacks--both free and slave. The last burial occurred in 1942.
Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Trustees of Old Shiloh Cemetery, and Friends of Old Shiloh Cemetery Inc.
The register for the cemetery is at this web site: