Starkweather Home/Ladies Library - Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posted by: GT.US
N 42° 14.613 W 083° 36.776
17T E 284423 N 4680123
Quick Description: This Italianate-style home was built in 1858 by local merchant Edwin Mills. It was later occupied by Mary Ann Starkweather until she gave it to the Ladies Library Association in 1890.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 3/19/2008 3:12:29 PM
Waymark Code: WM3DGE
The Ladies Library/Starweather House is a wonderful brick building that once housed the Ladies Library. Built in 1858 as a private residence, it was later willed to the Ladies Library Association-the ladies added the carved limestone sign above the door. At the turn of the century, the building was turned over to the City of Ypsilanti, and it served as the city's public library until the mid-1960s. The building backs up to Riverside Park, with its walking paths along the Huron River-a pleasant place for a stroll or a quiet read.(Source: (visit link
Recently the Starkweather house was transferred from the city to private owners. The Ypsilanti Historical Museum houses the newly renovated stained glass window from the front of the Ladies’ Library and many other impressive exhibits of Ypsilanti history. The Starkweather house was the home of Elijah McCoy and a stop for the Underground Railroad. Ypsilanti preservationist and restoration contractor Ron Rupert now owns the house and will begin renovations in 2008.