Old Field Lighthouse
Posted by: chstress53
N 40° 58.589 W 073° 07.159
18T E 658228 N 4537849
Quick Description: Old Fields location is west of the entrance to Port Jefferson Harbor. Located at the end of Old Field Road. There is a one-story, stone keeper's dwelling connected with the first lighthouse that stood on the point still stands behing the current Old Field Point Lighthouse, which was activated in 1868.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 11/3/2005 10:55:33 PM
Waymark Code: WM3B8
The Original light (1824) was a 30-foot octagonal tower, probably similar to that built at Plum Island in 1827, with a five-room separate keeper's quarters. In 1869 it's structurestood 34 feet tall and was originally a fixed white light with Fourth Order Fresnel lens. Present light (VRB-25) flashes alternating red and green, with a ten second period between flashes; granite structure with black iron tower.
Original light (1824): 30-foot octagonal tower, probably similar to that built at Plum Island in 1827, with a five-room separate keeper's quarters.
Current structure (1869): 34 feet tall; originally a fixed white light with Fourth Order Fresnel lens. Present light (VRB-25) flashes alternating red and green, with a ten second period between flashes; granite structure with black iron tower.
History of light:
1823, October 10: Edward Shoemaker appointed first keeper.
1824: Original tower and keeper's quarters constructed for $4000.
1855: Fourth Order lens installed.
Current use: Active aid to navigation/town offices.
The surrounding area: If you wish to explore the area, nearby Port Jefferson and Stony Brook are rich in history, with many historic buildings. Port Jefferson has many quaint local shops, while Stony Brook has The Long Island Museum of American Art, History and Carriages on Route 25A.
Public access? No.
ODE TO OLD FIELD LIGHT
by Lightkeeper John
"A seaside matriarch attired in granite and crowned with iron.
An elderly granite lady who watches over the Sound with her flashing eye of red and green.
The presence of lightkeepers past is most evident here....
the man who wore his brass-buttoned uniform with pride....
the man who once tended the old Fresnel lens as though it were the rarest of jewels.
Through nights of moonlight and nights of thundering skies this lady of granite with her flashing eye has saved both ships and souls.
With her flashing light she'd call to the sailors and ships 'TAKE CARE! TAKE CARE! STEER CLEAR...THE HARBOR IS NEAR!'
For decades she sat, deemed outmoded and old, her flashing eye shut, her soul in slumber.
A new light nearby upon a tower of steel now flashed to the boats on the Sound, but it was only a tower of iron....no heart and no soul.
Many years went by and again the "Granite Lady of the Sound" was once more the granite guardian of Old Field Point....
her red and green eye a most welcome sight on a storm-tossed night!!"
Coastal Lighthouse: Lighthouse
LIGHTHOUSE CHALLENGE VISIT: Lighthouse Challenge Visit
Range Lights: Not listed
Please include your GPS in the photo to log a Waypoint in this category.