Ft. Humbug -Shreveport, Louisiana.
Posted by: misfitt
N 32° 30.008 W 093° 43.479
15S E 431926 N 3596105
Quick Description: This marker is located near downtown Shreveport at the intersection of Youree Drive and Stoner Avenue.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 3/2/2008 10:26:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM39TJ
The marker statement:
“Formerly Fort Turnbull, built by the Confederates to defend Shreveport, then capital of Louisiana. In 1864, charred logs simulating cannon were used to deter Union forces from attacking.”
The story of Ft. Humbug is very, very interesting:
Myth, Legend and Fact. In the past and the present.
During the Civil War here were four forts built around Shreveport for its defenses. One was Fort Turnbull that became Ft. Humbug which was on a high bluff of Red River. As there were few cannon available the commander at Ft. Turnbull cut tress down, cut them into short lengths, set them afire. When they got to burning good he then put the fire out and then had a good supply of blackened logs - that could at a distance look like cannon. He placed these all around on the bluff defenses. Now, at a distance it looked like the area was bristling with cannon. One day when General Magruder was making a tour of inspection he saw these “charred logs” and he said, “Your forts are only a humbug,” and that is why the fort is best known to the citizens today as Fort Humbug.
This is why at this day and in the pictures there is a mock log cannon at this site at the intersection of Youree Drive and Stoner Avenue. This is also home to the Louisiana Aarmy National Guard unit 2nd BATTALION, 108th Cavalry of the 256th Infantry Brigade Combat Team all armored (tank) units. The marker is at the entrance to this National Guard Unit.
This marker was put in place by the State of Louisiana. They are part of the historic marker program administered by the State of Louisiana – Division of Historic Preservation. These markers help document our state’s heritage for each specific site. The markers are made of aluminum alloy, have a brown background with ivory letters and are topped off with an arched crest with an outline of the State of Louisiana’s symbol, the brown pelican. The Historic Marker program began in 1951. The markers are erected by the State Department of Transportation and Development and sponsored by local groups.
This marker was sponsored by the Louisiana Army National Guard 2006
Link to more information:: [Web Link]
Marker Name: Ft. Humbug
Marker Type: Roadside
What does marker relate to?: Other
Year Erected or Date Dedicated: 01/01/2006
Please describe your visit to the marker location.
A photo is not required to log this cache but is encouraged, if possible.