End of the Trail - Waupun, WI
N 43° 38.265 W 088° 43.851
16T E 360388 N 4833095
Quick Description: The original model of "The End of the Trail" was created by James Earl Fraser in 1894. As a tribute to the Native Americans Clarence Shaler commissioned James Earle Fraser to cast the statute in bronze as a gift to the City of Waupun.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 2/25/2008 8:30:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM38D2
From the City of Waupun web
"The original model of "The End of the Trail" was created by James
Earl Fraser in 1894 when he was 17 years old. It's completed size
was only 18 inches tall. Fraser was asked to replicate his
masterpiece in plaster for the 1914 Panama Pacific International
Exposition in San Francisco which was where Shaler first beheld the
work of art.
The child of pioneer farmers, Shaler had contact with Native
Americans living around nearby Lake Emily and was saddened by their
disappearance over the years. As a tribute to the Native Americans
he commissioned James Earle Fraser to cast the statute in bronze as
a gift to the City of Waupun. It took two years to complete at a
cost of $50,000 and was unveiled at its present site on June 23,
1929. In 1975, the statue became a Wisconsin landmark and is listed
on the National Register of Historic Sites."