By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

City of St. Marys GHM 020-10
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 30° 43.557 W 081° 32.838
17R E 447602 N 3399358
Quick Description: The City of St. Marys historical marker is located at the intersection of Osborne and Dillingham Streets in St. Marys, Georgia.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 2/18/2008 11:39:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM36GE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North
Views: 18

Long Description:
The marker reads as follows:

This town was built on the north bank of the St. Marys River at a place called Buttermilk Bluff. Original tract of land containing 1620 acres was purchased by the proprietors for laying out the Town of St. Marys from Jacob Weed for thirty-eight dollars on Dec. 12, 1787. City first laid out by James Finley, County Surveyor, Aug. 1788 and recorded Jan. 5, 1789. The twenty proprietors of the town were: Isaac Wheeler, William Norris, Nathaniel Ashley, William Ashley, Lodowick Ashley, James Seagrove, James Finley, John Fleming, Robert Seagrove, Henry Osborne, Thomas Norris, Jacob Weed, John Alexander, Langley Bryant, Jonathan Bartlett, Stephen Conyers, William Ready, Prentis Gallup, Simeon Dillingham, Richard Cole.

City laid out second time as authorized by an Act of Dec. 5 1792. Map of town drawn by Parker, Hopkins, & Meers, certified by James Parker, County Surveyor, Jan. 3, 1792. Town of St. Marys was incorporated by an Act passed Nov. 26, 1802.

St. Marys temporary county seat until first courthouse and Gaol erected at Jefferson (Jeffersonton) as authorized and named in Act passed Nov. 29, 1800. Jeffersonton was permanent county seat for sixty-nine years (1801-1871).

Election held Jan. 3, 1871 authorized by Act passed Oct. 27, 1870 for removal of county seat from Jeffersonton to St. Marys. St. Marys permanent county seat for fifty-two years (1871-1923). Act of Aug. 11, 1923 authorized removal of county seat from St. Marys to Woodbine.
Type of Marker: Highway

Marker #: 020-10

Date: 1954

Sponsor: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, yourself at the marker, your gps at the marker, or anything specific to the text on the marker. And don't forget to enjoy your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Georgia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
electrical_chris visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 9/14/2018 electrical_chris visited it
jimmaxie visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 7/10/2009 jimmaxie visited it
the federation visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 10/12/2008 the federation visited it
BruceS visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 8/14/2008 BruceS visited it
carolina1 visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 7/26/2008 carolina1 visited it
macleod1 visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 5/11/2008 macleod1 visited it
Marine Biologist visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 2/18/2008 Marine Biologist visited it
Markerman62 visited City of St. Marys GHM 020-10 4/6/2003 Markerman62 visited it

View all visits/logs