Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
N 34° 54.918 W 085° 06.475
16S E 672844 N 3865284
Quick Description: The Ringgold Depot is the only Depot between Atlanta an Chattanooga that has been in continuous use since May 9, 1850, when the first train arrive here
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 2/15/2008 6:25:01 AM
Waymark Code: WM35RZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 101

Long Description:
When the Ringgold Railroad Depot was built in 1949, Ringgold was a warehouse town located at the intersection of three major roads and was actually larger than nearby Chattanooga, Tennessee. In 1862 the Railroad Locomotive known as “The General,” was captured in Georgia a Union Spy named James Andrews. Andrews and his Raiders used “The General” to speed north toward Ringgold and Chattanooga in an attempt to burn the bridges on the northern part of the Georgia State railroad, and also one on the East Tennessee railroad where it approaches the Georgia State line, thus completely isolating Chattanooga, which was then virtually ungarrisoned. The Ringgold Depot was the last building “The General” pass on the way north. Out of wood, and low on water “Andrews Raiders” abandoned “The General” two miles north of the Ringgold Depot, ending what is known as “The Great Locomotive Chase. North of the depot on the railroad track is a short marker noting the final stopping place of the General. For more information on "The Great Locomotive Chase" : (visit link)

On November 26, 1863, the station would anchor the line established by General Patrick Cleburne in defense of the retreating Army of the Tennessee in the Battle of Ringgold Gap. In the woods near the station are occasional monuments to the men who fought in the area, most notably a large marble monument dedicated to "The New York Brigade".

The Ringgold Depot is home to the “Ringgold Opry,” which features Bluegrass and Traditional Country Music on the second Saturday Night of each month. The Ringgold Depot is located on U. S. Route 441 in Ringgold, Georgia.
Street address:
Nashville St. and Atlantic St.
Ringgold, Ga. United States
30736


County / Borough / Parish: Catoosa County

Year listed: 1978

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture, Engineering, Event

Periods of significance: 1850-1874

Historic function: Rail Related Transportation

Current function: Rail Related Transportation

Privately owned?: no

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Nat Sherman visited Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia 4/4/2012 Nat Sherman visited it
NickTnReb visited Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia 11/22/2009 NickTnReb visited it
Lat34North visited Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia 7/3/2009 Lat34North visited it
dillonsdaddy visited Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia 4/10/2009 dillonsdaddy visited it
GAGoofy visited Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia 10/11/2008 GAGoofy visited it
Wandering Spirits visited Ringgold Depot - Ringgold, Georgia 10/16/2006 Wandering Spirits visited it

View all visits/logs